E-27" exhaust issues

JohncBooBooDay

I'm in Dana Point. Could I get a little assistance on the ericson 27' exhaust recomendations. It would be appreciated. My exhaust is not getting any water through it any longer. Little by little it started to glog. I appreciate any help,
Atomic four engine.
Thank you

Rhett_m

Member I
What have you tried to do so far? Have you checked to see if there’s an obstruction in the seawater pickup hosing?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I would problem solve in the following manner: First, I would check if there is any obstruction to the raw water intake through the seacock and hose. Second, I would check the raw water impellor to see if there are any missing vanes, to check if it looks solid. Thirdly, if you haven't serviced the heat exchanger in several years, I would do that by removing the end cap to check for any debris from the engine pencil zinc or other, and possibly take it to a radiator shop which can usually clean it properly. Finally, if it's still a problem, I would remove the exhaust riser to check for obstruction like carbon or calcium deposits there. Finally, I would check all raw water, heater and exhaust hoses for kinks, hose failure, leaks. If at that point you are still having problems, or if the above steps are beyond your abilities, I would call a good diesel mechanic.
Let us know what you find!
Frank

tpcorrigan

Member II
What Frank said. I would add that if you first remove the hose that actually goes into the Exhaust to see if the water gets that far. if it doesn't back to Frank's suggestions. if water gets to the exhaust then depending on your type of riser (we have the tall one) check for years of rust build up that blocks the water ingress. Happened to us and my daughter's boy friend built a new riser from the plans on this website. Back to Franks suggestions when we got our boat in 2016 we went through a couple of years before we got all the past blown up pieces of impeller out. boat would work great then, boom, no water. Tracing this type of problem took forever because the pieces about 1/2 inch by 3/4, would hide in elbow joints and such. Good luck and safe sailing. _/)

P.S. Last year I broke down and bought a Moyer Marine new water pump and, I got to say, you could take a shower out out the exhaust outlet now.

JohncBooBooDay

What Frank said. I would add that if you first remove the hose that actually goes into the Exhaust to see if the water gets that far. if it doesn't back to Frank's suggestions. if water gets to the exhaust then depending on your type of riser (we have the tall one) check for years of rust build up that blocks the water ingress. Happened to us and my daughter's boy friend built a new riser from the plans on this website. Back to Franks suggestions when we got our boat in 2016 we went through a couple of years before we got all the past blown up pieces of impeller out. boat would work great then, boom, no water. Tracing this type of problem took forever because the pieces about 1/2 inch by 3/4, would hide in elbow joints and such. Good luck and safe sailing. _/)

P.S. Last year I broke down and bought a Moyer Marine new water pump and, I got to say, you could take a shower out out the exhaust outlet now.
Thank you for your reply. It was the mixing elbow I imagine years of crud created the blockage. Luckily through investigation, I realized the size coming off the exhaust manifold is 5/8 and the nipple to exhaust was 3/4. I installed a 5/8 to 3/4 adapter and installed. Everything is clear and running smooth. I hope the propper hose will help the blockage moving forward. The water is coming out the back at full. Replacing the impeller was simple and the process of elimination made me closer to my boat. I paid nothing in mechanic cost!! Thank goodness.

JohncBooBooDay

I would problem solve in the following manner: First, I would check if there is any obstruction to the raw water intake through the seacock and hose. Second, I would check the raw water impellor to see if there are any missing vanes, to check if it looks solid. Thirdly, if you haven't serviced the heat exchanger in several years, I would do that by removing the end cap to check for any debris from the engine pencil zinc or other, and possibly take it to a radiator shop which can usually clean it properly. Finally, if it's still a problem, I would remove the exhaust riser to check for obstruction like carbon or calcium deposits there. Finally, I would check all raw water, heater and exhaust hoses for kinks, hose failure, leaks. If at that point you are still having problems, or if the above steps are beyond your abilities, I would call a good diesel mechanic.
Let us know what you find!
Frank
Thank you Frank! It was the mixing elbow I imagine years of crud created the blockage. Luckily through investigation, I realized the size coming off the exhaust manifold is 5/8 and the nipple to exhaust/mixing elbow was 3/4. I installed a 5/8 to 3/4 adapter. Everything is clear and running smooth. I hope the propper hose will help the blockage moving forward. The water is coming out the back at full. Replacing the impeller was simple and the process of elimination made me closer to my boat. I paid nothing in mechanic cost!! Thank goodness. Appreciate your input! Now for the blower... lol Always something

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thank you Frank! It was the mixing elbow I imagine years of crud created the blockage. Luckily through investigation, I realized the size coming off the exhaust manifold is 5/8 and the nipple to exhaust/mixing elbow was 3/4. I installed a 5/8 to 3/4 adapter. Everything is clear and running smooth. I hope the propper hose will help the blockage moving forward. The water is coming out the back at full. Replacing the impeller was simple and the process of elimination made me closer to my boat. I paid nothing in mechanic cost!! Thank goodness. Appreciate your input! Now for the blower... lol Always something
Glad to hear you solved that one!
Frank

SurfingGuru

Which engine do you have? I'm trying to find out the size of the mixing elbow in my 25XP. Parts store says either 1.25 or 1.5 threaded.