"Dusty" hull insides

ilnadi

Member I
Every time I open one of the storage areas that open to the inside of the hull I see a lot of red dust. I finally got a good look when I removed the galley cabinet to re-do the AC wiring. It looks like there was some sort of foam-backed vinyl covering the inside of the hull and the foam has turned to dust, bright red dust (forgot to take a picture). I plan to drag a big shopvac to the boat and clean up what I can get to.
  1. Has anybody else run into this?
  2. I feel like I should put something similar in its place. I assume it will help insulate the boat somehow.

Thoughts?
Experiences?
thanks

JPS27

Member III
Every time I open one of the storage areas that open to the inside of the hull I see a lot of red dust. I finally got a good look when I removed the galley cabinet to re-do the AC wiring. It looks like there was some sort of foam-backed vinyl covering the inside of the hull and the foam has turned to dust, bright red dust (forgot to take a picture). I plan to drag a big shopvac to the boat and clean up what I can get to.
  1. Has anybody else run into this?
  2. I feel like I should put something similar in its place. I assume it will help insulate the boat somehow.

Thoughts?
Experiences?
thanks

Last winter when my boat was on the hard I saw the same thing. Some sort of lining against the hull that had failed long ago but was still there. I ripped it all out and then using various types of tools (soft but somewhat abrasive 3m pads), bleach solution, acetone wipe down, etc I cleaned it as well as I could. Then I just painted it. Put hooks for lines in certain places. Looks much nicer and if there is a drip from above I can see it and fix it much faster. I attached two pics. I wish I had before pics. It was nasty. I definitely wore a mask, gloves and eye protection. Looked like mildew haven.

Attachments

• IMG_4225.jpg
    IMG_4225.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4401.jpg
    IMG_4401.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Nothing like that in my '70. When I first cut into the space behind the liner, I was surprised by how clean it was. I figured it must have been sealed up since the boat was built. But then I discovered that it is actually open at the aft end of the liner, to the space under the cockpit, which collects a lot of dirt. Can't explain it.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Paint?

Then I just painted it.

What kind of paint did you use? I think I remember reading somewhere that household latex paint was fine for this application (Don Casey?), but have read conflicting accounts.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have used Interlux Brightside for undersides of seat and anchor locker lids. It adheres well to surfaces that have mystery Ericson coatings, even when tehy are prepped only with a light sanding. Hatteras Off White looks good in that application.