DSC Calling Explained

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I found this thread on proper use of DSC calling and the role of MMSI to be of general interest, especially the Coast Guard perspective (in the meeting video).

What does that red panic tab on the radio do? And what would you do if the ear-splitting alarm few of us have heard actually went off?

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/c...s-Gonna-Answer

Thanks for sharing that valuable information Christian. Yes I heard that ear-splitting alarm once. I have this in my log from October 25th 2015 while out for a day sail just outside LA Harbor. :0

Wow that was a first. A very loud alarm sounded on my DCS VHF. I always monitor 16 when I'm out here but I have never heard that alarm. I switched to DCS about 8 years ago. Shortly after the alarm sounded for about 30 seconds the coast guard came in the radio and was able to contact the boat that hit the DCS alarm. It turned out to be someone's little kid that lifted the emergency shield and pushed the alarm button. Well at least I know I have my radio and GPS correctly connected. Startled the hell out of me!

Last edited: