Dropped LogIn

Starduff

Member II
Just a heads up in case anyone else has ezperienced this problem. Or maybe the problem is at my end?
Every once in a while while veiwing different threads, I notice I am no longer logged in.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just a heads up in case anyone else has ezperienced this problem. Or maybe the problem is at my end?
Every once in a while while veiwing different threads, I notice I am no longer logged in.

I experienced something like this several years ago, but no such problem for a long time.

I wonder if this is somehow related to a browser issue? Is it something like the "timing out" that is built into secure sites like the bank sites?

Maybe you could post up your description of hardware, OS, browser, and 'net provider -- and if your 'net connection is wired or wireless.

Best,
Loren

Starduff

Member II
Hi Loren,

I wondered if had something to do with a timeout feature, but I don't believe I have one. The hardware is an HP Pavillion a620n. The browser is MFST Internet Explorer through a hard wired Net Zero 3G High Speed Portal. But I still use dial up bcause I use my lap top in areas where there is no wireless and I am too cheap to spring for that new fangled Hi Speed digital data at each location.

Richard
E-28, Hull 651

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I assume that you're checking the 'Remember Me' box when you login...so you should have a login cookie written to your box (unless you've disabled cookies in your browser). I know there is a time out issue with iPhones and the iPod Touch...

Are you getting dropped only on dial-up - or on both the broadband and dial-up?

//sse

Starduff

Member II
I assume that you're checking the 'Remember Me' box when you login...so you should have a login cookie written to your box (unless you've disabled cookies in your browser). I know there is a time out issue with iPhones and the iPod Touch...

Are you getting dropped only on dial-up - or on both the broadband and dial-up?

Sean,

I hadn't ever checked the 'Remember Me' box. Maybe that is the cause. So, it is now selected. We'll see. I was only getting dropped on dial up.

Richard

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Yeah, that sounds pretty likely - without the login cookie you would be bounced each time the session timed out - with it, you should stay logged in.

Give it a try, and then let me know.... :egrin:

//sse

Starduff

Member II
Yeah, that sounds pretty likely - without the login cookie you would be bounced each time the session timed out - with it, you should stay logged in.

Give it a try, and then let me know.... :egrin:

Sean,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't get dropped yesterday even though I was on for awhile. I'll let you know if any further trouble. Thanks again.

Richard

Starduff

Member II
Sean,

Well! I just had an interesting experience. I was just writing a new reply telling you how I spoke too soon because I was dropped when I switched threads. I thought it might be related to my 3G High Speed becomming unavailable about the same time. Now I am pretty sure this must be the culprit since I was dropped again while writing the reply. It so happens my 3G High Speed availability came back on during that time. Problem Solved??? Maybe! If so, sorry for the Fire Drill I gave everyone.

Richard

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Sean,

Well! I just had an interesting experience. I was just writing a new reply telling you how I spoke too soon because I was dropped when I switched threads. I thought it might be related to my 3G High Speed becomming unavailable about the same time. Now I am pretty sure this must be the culprit since I was dropped again while writing the reply. It so happens my 3G High Speed availability came back on during that time. Problem Solved??? Maybe! If so, sorry for the Fire Drill I gave everyone.

Richard

It's ok - not a problem. Getting more feedback on what is happening to people helps us solve problems.

//sse