Don't try and be a human preventer

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
This gif came across my Facebook feed and I shared it on the Ericson 27 Owner's FB page. One comment came back saying that this is a common practice in light air racing. I find that a little hard to understand. :0

Click on the link to watch the .gif clip.

http://imgur.com/gallery/uPITxjd

Attachments

• Human Preventer.jpg
    Human Preventer.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 141

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
It looks like a planned event except for the cold weather gear. There seems to be no end of people doing dumb things.
Did you know more people were killed falling off a cliff while doing a selfie than killed by sharks last year?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner

Attachments

• shark-selfie.png
    shark-selfie.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 93

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yikes.

Looks like this is the end of an accident chain. Somehow the roller furler got fouled. The genoa sheets are tangled from flogging. Two guys on the bow working on that. Helmsman entirely distracted by events and probably issuing orders . Guy on the boom was put there as a temp preventer, which is common enough. After all, racing you're pulling the strings constantly, gots lots of crew, and in slop one of them can hold out the boom.

But the guy on the boom is inexperienced. We all know that in that particular posture you have no leverage at all. Need to anticipate the boat at least rolling, maybe even jibing.

Maneuvering the boat to picking him up must've been a real fire drill, given the mess they were in already.

But it is the fellow in the companionway who is the lucky one, and would never have seen the skull fracture coming.

Race skippers push crews and gear hard, risking collision and catastrophic rig failures. In my opinion, all injuries to crew are the skipper's fault.