Crack by the chain locker

gfucci

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I went to visit a local 1987 Ericson 28 for a possible purchase. The boat seems to be in overall good shape but there are a couple of cracks that are somewhat concerning to me by the anchor chain locker. In attachment you can find some pictures of the two cracks on either side of the locker.
One of the cracks seem to be caused by the hinge for the locker hatch but the other one does not. (Also the hatch itself has small hairline cracks). I was wondering if any of you have encountered this problem and what the fix should be. Should it be a deal breaker? or is it worth having a surveyor out for an hour or so to advise me if it worth doing a full fledged survey. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200720_102006.jpg
    20200720_102006.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200720_110544.jpg
    20200720_110544.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 30

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard the forum.

If you intend to insure the boat, or keep it at a marina, it's very likely that a survey by an accredited marine surveyor will be required by both. He or she would know what they're looking at.

Cracks may just be in gel coat, and can be repaired easily or semi-easily, but are always worth exploration.

gfucci

Thank you for your reply. Yes, if I do decide to proceed I would definitely have a survey done.
I just wanted to get an advice from those on this forum (who have way more experience than me) on wether this cracks are a deal beaker or it is worth proceeding with a bona fide survey.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Seems to be a not-uncommon minor flaw in these mid-80s Ericsons. My boat has a similar crack, and I've read maybe 3 posting from others over the years with a similar problem. Consensus seems to be that it's just cosmetic and usually doesn't propagate to causing core damage. I left mine sealed with epoxy (which is not UV resistant) for a few years (as shown in the photo), then had it re-gelcoated last year along with some other gelocat work I had done. Unfortunately, after a year, it looks like the crack is starting to open up again, if only slightly.20170125_180054.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Absent some findings from a qualified surveyor, I suspect a small area that had thicker-than-specified gel coat sprayed into the mold.
What happens was that excess thickness was created and then subsequent layers of resin and glass made the mistake invisible. From the outside, all looks normal for the first ten years or so, and then a tiny crack appears. The gel coat slightly shrinks as it cures out over time; no problem when it is thin or at least the specified depth. But when it's thicker, a crack appears, and can very slowly grow. This can happen in lots of places, but the mistake is easier to make anywhere you are spraying into a corner or narrow recess in the mold.
There is one local (not an Ericson) boat with "alligator" cracks all over (!) the cabin top and deck. Looks disconcerting, but no strength problem -- it was a 70's Islander 30.
My SWAG is that if you were to grind down the area, you would go into the surface at least 3/16" in that little area before hitting glass fiber. And perhaps deeper.
Of course, this opinion is only worth $.02, on a good day. :)

gfucci

Thank you very much for your replies. It seems that the cracks might just be superficial. I am in the process of contacting marine surveyors who would do a walk-through of the vessel with me before a full-fledged survey. There are other issues (at least from my point of view) that I would like an expert eye to look at, like some corrosion at the base of the mast

Attachments

• 20200720_102126.jpg
    20200720_102126.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200720_102133.jpg
    20200720_102133.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 20

gfucci

Thank you everyone for your replies. Unfortunately the broker just informed me that another buyer made an offer that the seller accepted. Perhaps I missed a good opportunity! Thanks again!