Cove stripe question

Azgard Vancouver

Hi, new to the site. We have a 35-3 that has just been repainted and we are going to have a cove stripe added. We did not get a measurement of the old gold cove stripe, and surprisingly, out of the loads of photos we have, we don't have a great photo depicting the cove stripe. Can anyone help with advice on the original cove stripe height and placement? Many thanks.

Azgard Vancouver

OK! will post some once she is out of her drydock "tent". Just need to get the cove stripe sorted, and the new lettering and Ericson decal organized.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My 381 has raised gelcoat for the cove, but I guess you don't have that as a guide.

If Ericson blue is to be the color, I thought Awlgrip Aristo was the best match.

cove cropped.JPG

Stuphoto

Member III
Don't know about the cove on anything other than on the 25, which is again raised making it easy.

If you are getting some Ericson decals made up, is there any chance you can share your source with me?

Is that Vancouver, BC or WA?
If it's in BC I hope you can bring her to the Rendezvous close to Victoria.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Welcome Azgard! Ours is a 1986 35-3. Perhaps these images will help. I don't have a good closeup of the aft end of the stripe. I'll be at the boat within the next week for sure and can send some measurements and a closeup of the aft end, if you like.
I'm new to the Ericson world. I didn't realize the stripes came in anything but blue.
Cheers,
Jeff

Kismet 2021_8-15 b.jpgKismet bow_4814.jpgKismet hard 01.jpg

dhill

Member III
Hi @Azgard Vancouver ,

What year is your Ericson 35-3? Mine is a 1987 and has a thinner stripe well below the rub rail (about 5-6" below judging by my boat registration lettering, which is 3" high with an inch or so margin top and bottom). I'm not conveniently near the boat at the moment, so I can't measure it directly. On my boat, the cove stripe is indented slightly from the rest of the hull, so it is clear where the cove strip should go. The indentation looks to be the same width as the rub rail.

I would love to see your new paint job!

Hope this helps!
Dave

Attachments

• cove stripe.png
    cove stripe.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 18
  • port side.jpg
    port side.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
If you are getting some Ericson decals made up, is there any chance you can share your source with me?
We got a couple from eBay last fall. They seem like good quality, tho have yet to apply them.
I think they're available on CafePress, and another place or two.
Jeff

Azgard Vancouver

Hi @Azgard Vancouver ,

What year is your Ericson 35-3? Mine is a 1987 and has a thinner stripe well below the rub rail (about 5-6" below judging by my boat registration lettering, which is 3" high with an inch or so margin top and bottom). I'm not conveniently near the boat at the moment, so I can't measure it directly. On my boat, the cove stripe is indented slightly from the rest of the hull, so it is clear where the cove strip should go. The indentation looks to be the same width as the rub rail.

I would love to see your new paint job!

Hope this helps!
Dave
It is a 1983. Your photos are helpful, thanks!

Azgard Vancouver

Welcome Azgard! Ours is a 1986 35-3. Perhaps these images will help. I don't have a good closeup of the aft end of the stripe. I'll be at the boat within the next week for sure and can send some measurements and a closeup of the aft end, if you like.
I'm new to the Ericson world. I didn't realize the stripes came in anything but blue.
Cheers,
Jeff

View attachment 41985View attachment 41986View attachment 41987
Thank you for the photos! Much appreciated. Ours has a thin gold cove stripe on a blue hull. It is interesting to see the many different cove stripes people have!

Azgard Vancouver

Don't know about the cove on anything other than on the 25, which is again raised making it easy.

Is that Vancouver, BC or WA?
If it's in BC I hope you can bring her to the Rendezvous close to Victoria.
We are in Vancouver Canada. Unfortunately we will not be in BC in late July; maybe next year!

Azgard Vancouver

We got a couple from eBay last fall. They seem like good quality, tho have yet to apply them.
I think they're available on CafePress, and another place or two.
Jeff
Thanks for sharing that link for the decals!

Stuphoto

Member III
We are in Vancouver Canada. Unfortunately we will not be in BC in late July; maybe next year!
I am on Hornby,
If you are sailing there please let me know.
Although my boat will pale in comparison to yours with her new paint job.

Thank you for that info Prairie Schooner.
My boat will get repainted sometime in the next year, so I am planning ahead with all the decals.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I didn't know this until after just looking it up:

"The cove stripe is that decorative recess cut into the side of the hull just below deck level. It's called a "cove stripe" because in the days of wooden boats carved recesses of this type were called coves."

"The Boot Stripe is a narrow stripe that runs the length of the boat and is usually positioned a few inches above the waterline. The stripe provides an aesthetic touch and creates an optical illusion that makes the boat appear to be longer."

Makes me wonder (but not for too long) if a non-recessed upper stripe would be called a shear stripe or a cove stripe?