Corrosion prevention in aluminum Gusher pumps

peaman

Sustaining Member
I have two Whale Gusher pumps on my boat, which I believe may be original equipment: one is a bilge pump at the helm, and the other is for head tank overboard pump-out. I recently removed and disassembled the head tank pump and found some corrosion which needs to be addressed.

Except for a bit of internal corrosion, the pump is fairly pristine. It is unfortunate that the corrosion is mostly on surfaces which are critical to the pump operation, and that aluminum corrosion results in expanding growths. I want to restore the pump to service, so I would like to know what might be the best treatment for the corrosion. I have some latex aluminum primer, which was recommended for aluminum exposed to weather. Another choice might be painting with WEST system epoxy or something similar. Since some surfaces must be flat in order to enhance sealing of the flapper valves, any coating must be not too thick.

What are my best choices for treatment?

Also, how often should a pump like this be opened for inspection or service? 35 years seems too long, so maybe 18?

IMG_2904.JPG

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have two Whale Gusher pumps on my boat, which I believe may be original equipment: one is a bilge pump at the helm, and the other is for head tank overboard pump-out. I recently removed and disassembled the head tank pump and found some corrosion which needs to be addressed.

Except for a bit of internal corrosion, the pump is fairly pristine. It is unfortunate that the corrosion is mostly on surfaces which are critical to the pump operation, and that aluminum corrosion results in expanding growths. I want to restore the pump to service, so I would like to know what might be the best treatment for the corrosion. I have some latex aluminum primer, which was recommended for aluminum exposed to weather. Another choice might be painting with WEST system epoxy or something similar. Since some surfaces must be flat in order to enhance sealing of the flapper valves, any coating must be not too thick.

What are my best choices for treatment?

Also, how often should a pump like this be opened for inspection or service? 35 years seems too long, so maybe 18?

View attachment 42444
If that's original equipment it has done really well to still look so clean. Mine was much, much more corroded, though it does get lots of use as I sail alot.
Unless it's more pitted than I can see in the pics, I would think the valves would still seal as they are rubber. I would sand lightly and paint with a corrosion resistant paint, like Rustoleum or similar.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Same pumps and same purposes on our '88.
I replaced the head pump with a new all plastic model, due to the corrosive nature of the effluent that had ruined the interior of the original. Our cockpit pump was beyond my poor efforts to free up the ss screws into the shell, so that the check valves could be replaced, so I later replaced it as well. These would last infefinitely IF they were taken apart every ten years and the rubber check valves got replaced, imho.
Also, if it's been 20 years you Really Should replace all of the flex bilge and sanitation hoses, as well