Cockpit drain valve sizes

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
One disadvantage to having the boat 500 miles away is being unable to take measurements.

I'm considering replacement of my corroding-pink cockpit drain valves (maybe through-hulls too) using Maine Sail's methodology. My valves are original.

My question is: What size are these fittings on the E35-II? I'm almost certain they're 1.5" but would like to hear it from others.

Incidentally, I've noticed since moving the boat to SoCal that those molecules are definitely being catalyzed in the warmer climate: Corrosion, rust, hull growth are all happening faster than they did in SF.

tbdill

Cockpit Drains E35II

I am replacing the hoses and one ball valve. The hoses are 1-1/2". The ball valves are 1-1/4".

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Dezincification and upsizing

I just had the boat yard replace my through hulls and valves per Maine Sail's recommendation: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/seacock_primer

Turns out my through-hulls and valves (for the cockpit scuppers anyway) were 1.25", and the bronze T's and hoses and hose barbs were 1.5". For the sake of consistency and to get true 1.5" flow, I just enlarged the through hulls and valves, and added in flanged bases. The whole assembly is pretty solid now.

Both of my valves were in a sorry pink de-zincified state. One of them had a spongy appearance viewing it from outside the hull once I was hauled out. The guys working on the boat were able to just snap it off with a little force. :0