Choke cable issue Atomic Four E27

RedXII

Member I
My 1971 E27 came with the atomic 4 and runs very well. However my choke cable is problematic. I can pull it out in the cockpit to choke it, but I have to open the cabinet under the sink so I can reach in to disengage it before we set off.

Am I possibly missing a return spring? All the cables I see on Moyer seem to just be the choke cable by itself. Any advice would be helpful thank you.

RedXII

Member I
If it's a standard control cable it probably just needs replacement. They wear out and can't be lubricated or fixed.

Something like this: https://moyermarine.com/product/choke-cable-long-fcar_15-1_246-2/

A call to Moyer would confirm.
Yeah the setup is pretty standard and im no stranger to these kinds of motors. But yet, there’s a pivoting bracket the cable mounts too with a small hole in it along with another spot close to it on the body of the motor that has a hole the same size that looks like it would accommodate a spring. I’m almost wondering if it was retrofitted by the previous owner because he had issues with the old cable returning to the standard? It’s quite odd. I’m considering just buying a new cable and seeing if that’s all she needs but I guess we’ll see when I do.

Thanks mate.

paul culver

Member III
Hi Red

No spring on mine. When the cable is disconnected try moving the choke lever back and forth to make sure resistance is about equal in both directions.

RedXII

Member I
Thanks for the insight. I’ve got a new cable on the way to at least have that base covered. We broke our throttle cable getting into the mooring after an afternoon sail (thank god it happened where it did, we were on the pin) so that was already replace

However the the choke thing is kinda annoying. I plan on single-handing and have to cover all my bases for ease of use in the cockpit. I’ll order a new cable from Moyer and dig into it once it’s either A). Not freezing or B). Not dark by the time I’m out of work.

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
I recently replaced mine, used a generic choke cable (can be cut to length if needed). Those cables don't like sharp bends so I got a fairly long one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CO7CU0

There is a small return spring on my choke control lever which likely helps it to close, but a well installed choke cable should be able to push just as well as it pushes (make sure the outer housing is properly secured at the choke mechanism).

I'll try to take a photo of it when I at our boat today or tomorrow.

RedXII

Member I
I recently replaced mine, used a generic choke cable (can be cut to length if needed). Those cables don't like sharp bends so I got a fairly long one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CO7CU0

There is a small return spring on my choke control lever which likely helps it to close, but a well installed choke cable should be able to push just as well as it pushes (make sure the outer housing is properly secured at the choke mechanism).

I'll try to take a photo of it when I at our boat today or tomorrow.
Thanks for the information. I spoke with the PO last night at the yacht club about it, and he said there indeed was a spring, but when he removed the carb to work on it, he lost it. Not sure why he never replaced it. In either case I’m sure a new cable will be lucrative as he was under the impression that it’s the e original cable….

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
Here's mine, just like Moyer Marine's (only much dirtier and rustier...)

Attachments

• PXL_20230101_205810627.jpg
    PXL_20230101_205810627.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 8

RedXII

Member I
Here's mine, just like Moyer Marine's (only much dirtier and rustier...)
Yeah that looks like a pretty heavy duty little spring. Well if anything I’ll start with a new cable and go from there. I’m sure I can find a spring that will work if it comes to that.