Center Hatch removal and repair or replacement on my E32-3

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Getting things together to pull the lid off the center hatch on my E32-3 which also has a solar fan in it. It’s leaks, not a lot but enough. Going to follow the guides posted on this site on how to do the job, especially from Christian. I had both the center and forward hatch lid glazing done by Hatchmasters a long time ago but now that I have more knowledge I’m going to do the job myself.

Still, I was wondering if any has ever replaced the hatch completely with a new one. My questions would be what brand, size (especially one that fits the existing hole), type, price and so on. Don’t expect to be doing that but replacement parts for the Lewmar Super Hatches are no longer available as far as I can tell. So if there is a problem with some of those replacements parts a new hatch could remotely be a necessity.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have, over the decades, replaced both the OEM Lewmar size 70 forward hatch and size 20 vent hatch. Each one fit the same attachment holes, but not "exactly", and several did have to be epoxied in and redrilled. Not too difficult, one you use putty knives, heat and cursing to get the OEM sealant (5200...) to let go.

Edit: I did reverse the vent hatch (size 20) to open aft when I replaced it.

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Hi Bob,
Every time I open the center hatch, I wish it was in the opposite orientation (opening aft-wards). I understand why it was installed this way (better funneling of breeze below when at anchor), but the vang stops it opening more than a few inches.
Your post here ... when you report how you did this project ... might finally encourage me to reorientate my hatch. :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

I reversed the hatch on the 32-3 and found it not really worth it. The utility is in funneling air in at the slip or anchor. And the expected benefit of leaving the hatch open to windward didn't prove out -- still have to close the hatch if spray is flying.

On the 38 at least, if I leave the vang a little loose the forward-facing hatch opens to the 30-degree mark fine.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC

I reversed the hatch on the 32-3 and found it not really worth it. The utility is in funneling air in at the slip or anchor. And the expected benefit of leaving the hatch open to windward didn't prove out -- still have to close the hatch if spray is flying.

On the 38 at least, if I leave the vang a little loose the forward-facing hatch opens to the 30-degree mark fine.
Christian, I agree with your main points. However with a rigid boom vang like on my boat I can't loosen the vang like you can, and then it made good sense to reverse the hatch. I do like it reversed, so if others also have a rigid vang, it is worth considering.
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That makes perfect sense. With a tackle vang, not so much.

Also, in terms of air flow, I came to realize that with a breeze from astern, which might prevail in some slips, the role of the main hatch is to exhaust air rather than capture it, and for that, a forward-opening hatch actually works better. As usual, all is compromise.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Here's my expereince with replacing the hatch:

I liked the indexed opening mechanism on the older super hatch better, but the locking handles and parts availability of newer hatches is nice. The tipping point for me between purchasing new vs restoring the super hatch came down to finding a great deal on new hatches. If I had to pay full price, I would probably lean towards refurbishing the super hatches. Christian and others pointed out the hatch masters outfit that still can sources replacement parts.