Build plate info?

cdh4088

Member II
Here is the build plate from my project 78 E32 tall rig: KIMG0952.JPG

Ive looked at many pictures of these boats online, and I have not found another quite like it. The interior is loaded with fitted wood. there isnt a single inch of visible fiberglass inside. Originally had a padded headliner that is gone now. Also came from the factory with flush mounted through hulls all around, which I thought odd.
Can someone tell me more about my boat? were there different interior trim options? Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Great to see this subject come up. I would still like to source or make one for our '88 model.
Previous discussion: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/builders-plate.7811/page-8

Technology for plaques has changed in the last decade. I wonder if anyone here has first hand experience with newer methods? I could imagine 3D Printing being used nowadays to make a bas-relief plaque, looking just like cast bronze (depending on the material).

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That is a good question for all those who have factory builders plates. Is there a standard location where they are supposed to go? This might also bear on what size they should/can be.

When I had one made from scratch, my uninformed reasoning was that it should be located at the nav station. Since I also had the registration number, radio call sign, and mmsi added to the plate, I thought it should be near the radios. And since they were cheap, I had a second one made to go at the helm.

Re: The OP. Wisdom gleaned from this site suggests that considerable customization could be done at the factory, for customer-ordered boats. It is entirely possible that unique features could be found. But are you saying there is no interior fiberglass liner? Surely that was a structural element of the boat? But I have heard cases of people who decided to cut them out during a rebuild.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have seen a builder plaque mounted on the inside of the teak trim, at the companionway entry. I.e. you view it while standing on the inside facing the cockpit. This is a vertical surface about 2" tall. A 1990 boat, IIRC.
One bit of trivia: the builder plaque is about the basic boat model, and will not usually reference customization ordered by the customer.

Last edited: