Breaking The Wind: Hawaii Passage Video

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Great to see it all come together, and Diamond Head the reward. I gotta say I still don't think there is a better looking sailboat than the 1980s E32, the lines are just completely all right.

Congrats on success. I'm pretty sure it's all in the preparation you did.

jav317

Member III
Well done. It was interesting watching our model out there. Looks like she treated you well after all the work you put into her. Congratulations!

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Bravo, I enjoyed your video especially the sweet robot moves on the foredeck! Congrats on an inspiring passage and all the work you put into making it happen. Looked beautiful.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Bravo, I enjoyed your video especially the sweet robot moves on the foredeck! Congrats on an inspiring passage and all the work you put into making it happen. Looked beautiful.
Thank you! It was more arduous than I made it out in the movie, but still a great experience. You should do it!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
My "first mate", Beverly and I just watched your video to see another E32 cross the Pacific to Hawaii and we have to say. "GOOD JOB!" But we do have some comments and questions.

#1: I was interested to see that your furling line found its way overboard and into your propeller. On my E32 this line goes through several blocks and a fairlead before it gets to the fuller and I keep a stopper knot in the bitter end. Does your boat have the same setup (blocks, fairleads) where the line somehow worked it's way out or do (did) you have it running free along the deck?

#2: My first mate is now totally convinced that sailors are a little bit "unbalanced", including yours truly, because she again saw a sailor pretending to be another person on board what was suppose to be a solo sail as what was also seen in Christian's last crossing video to Hawaii. She also often catches me talking to someone who's not there especially when I wrestling with some mechanical or sailing problem on board and that's her proof that I'm a bit "off" too but she loves us all.

#3: Nice homage to Christian with the dance moves on the foredeck but I think that he has better foot work than you. Don't fret about it because this talent comes with age and you have a long way to go to catch up to him and me for that matter.

#4: I am more than just a little envious of you west coast sailors being able to take off to Hawaii (with a lot of prep before hand) because here on the east coast we have nothing that compares to it really. Oh, maybe Bermuda but I'll probably only spend the rest of my days in the Chesapeake Bay although my brother-in-law has been talking to me about taking my E32 to Bermuda and back.

#5: Speaking of my brother-in-law, you are almost but not quite a dead ringer for him in the looks department. Taller and younger but when my wife saw you on the screen she said, "He looks like Brian!" You not quite his doppelgänger but you're certainly going in the right direction. Again, GOOD JOB on your sail to Hawaii!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Point #4 resonates with me. While we have a lot of "inland" cruising available in the NW, the only handy open-ocean venue is transiting the Washington coast or the west side of Vancouver Island for the very few circumnavigating it.

After one crewing delivery down to SF and another trip up the California coast a ways from SD, I do wish we had an open ocean route to somewhere interesting.... and warm. Warm would be nice! Summer nights off the NW coast are cold and damp; watch standing involves layers of clothing and thick boots.

Those lucky guys and gals sailing to Catalina Island, come to mind.
Sailing the vast Chesapeake sure looks great compared to my local venue, also! Bermuda looks awesome too.
Oh well -- "grass always greener on other side of fence", or the sea is bluer.
:)

Last edited:

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
We actually have a lot of opportunities on the East Coast, from the beauty of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, the rocky inlets of Maine, and the ICW down to Florida and the Bahamas or west to Mexico and beyond.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
We actually have a lot of opportunities on the East Coast, from the beauty of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, the rocky inlets of Maine, and the ICW down to Florida and the Bahamas or west to Mexico and beyond.
True they are beautiful places for sure but IMO only, I think nothing compares to a solo sail across a more empty ocean like that from LA to Hawaii. Just keep your AIS turned on just in case. :)

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Point #4 resonates with me. While we have a lot of "inland" cruising available in the NW, the only handy open-ocean venue is transiting the Washington coast or the west side of Vancouver Island for the very few circumnavigating it.

After one crewing delivery down to SF and another trip up the California coast a ways from SD, I do wish we had an open ocean route to somewhere interesting.... and warm. Warm would be nice! Summer nights off the NW coast are cold and damp; watch standing involves layers of clothing and thick boots.

Those lucky guys and gals sailing to Catalina Island, come to mind.
Sailing the vast Chesapeake sure looks great compared to my local venue, also! Bermuda looks awesome too.
Oh well -- "grass always greener on other side of fence", or the sea is bluer.
:)
I do feel fortunate to sail the Chesapeake Bay (even though I have to drive two hours to get to my boat) because there are hundreds of places to anchor and many interesting ports and marinas to visit. We just started a YouTube channel called Sailing Vesper: On the Chesapeake Bay because we want to share some of our experiences on the bay and report on places we visit plus cover some boat improvements and maintenance. It's more about the bay and viewers who are new to or never sailed, like many of my south central PA friends and family, then just about an Ericson. It's in its "infancy" because I'm just starting to load it up with content but it's been fun for this old retired "still" photographer. A new challenge and learning experience. I do want to want to get up to New England and down the east coast but time will tell about those trips.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The other ocean is always greener, or something like that.

To my mind, the New York area is grandest. There is all of Long Island Sound, the Cape, Maine. The other way lies the Chesapeake, an entirely different environment. All accessible to family cruises. The outside routes are real ocean, the inside routes (north through the Sound, south the Delaware-Chesapeake canal) are protected. Bermuda is 700 miles on 160m, has everything a sailor has read about, and you're there in less than a week.

Southern California is extraordinary. The weather, when there is any, is just about perfect most of the time. The water is clear and cool. Sailing is year round, with none of the staggering heat and storms of the East. You can make a tennis reservation here for three months ahead and expect it never to be cancelled--or a family cruise. The trouble is, there's nowhere to go. San Diego is 100 miles south, and Santa Barbara 100 miles north. When you get there, it;s the same as LA. San Francisco is 400 miles north, but a brutal slog to windward with gales. Hawaii, as a cruising destination, is a 5,000nm round trip and takes all summer.

Sailing year round is itself an interesting issue. Twelve months baking in UV for the boat and no time off for the crew. I really get this joke:

After the Civil War, southern states were giving away farmland to anyone who'd till it. A representative of Louisiana approached a farmer in Vermont, who was feeding his horses in a barn in 10 feet of snow while wind howled outside.

"Sir, we will give you 500 acres free. We have no snow like this. Why, you fellows up here can't farm all winter long. Think of it, sir, in Louisiana, you can work every month of the year!"

"You must think I'm stupid," the Yankee said.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My "first mate", Beverly and I just watched your video to see another E32 cross the Pacific to Hawaii and we have to say. "GOOD JOB!" But we do have some comments and questions.

#1: I was interested to see that your furling line found its way overboard and into your propeller. On my E32 this line goes through several blocks and a fairlead before it gets to the fuller and I keep a stopper knot in the bitter end. Does your boat have the same setup (blocks, fairleads) where the line somehow worked it's way out or do (did) you have it running free along the deck?

#2: My first mate is now totally convinced that sailors are a little bit "unbalanced", including yours truly, because she again saw a sailor pretending to be another person on board what was suppose to be a solo sail as what was also seen in Christian's last crossing video to Hawaii. She also often catches me talking to someone who's not there especially when I wrestling with some mechanical or sailing problem on board and that's her proof that I'm a bit "off" too but she loves us all.

#3: Nice homage to Christian with the dance moves on the foredeck but I think that he has better foot work than you. Don't fret about it because this talent comes with age and you have a long way to go to catch up to him and me for that matter.

#4: I am more than just a little envious of you west coast sailors being able to take off to Hawaii (with a lot of prep before hand) because here on the east coast we have nothing that compares to it really. Oh, maybe Bermuda but I'll probably only spend the rest of my days in the Chesapeake Bay although my brother-in-law has been talking to me about taking my E32 to Bermuda and back.

#5: Speaking of my brother-in-law, you are almost but not quite a dead ringer for him in the looks department. Taller and younger but when my wife saw you on the screen she said, "He looks like Brian!" You not quite his doppelgänger but you're certainly going in the right direction. Again, GOOD JOB on your sail to Hawaii!
Thanks for the kind words!

I
address #1 in this thread: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/thread...california-to-hawaii-part-2.19933/post-156842

The stopper knot was missing and the Murphy and his law took over.

Re #4, the Bahamas are 1/3rd the distance from Virginia Beach that San Francisco is from Hawaii. Much more accessible than crossing the Pacific. If the Hawaii trips look easy it’s because the guys making the videos have made them seem that way.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Thanks for the kind words!

I
address #1 in this thread: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/thread...california-to-hawaii-part-2.19933/post-156842

The stopper knot was missing and the Murphy and his law took over.

Re #4, the Bahamas are 1/3rd the distance from Virginia Beach that San Francisco is from Hawaii. Much more accessible than crossing the Pacific. If the Hawaii trips look easy it’s because the guys making the videos have made them seem that way.
Ah...the old "lost my stopper knot" reason. We'll we've all done it with different degree of "hassle" because of it coming undone or just forgetting to tie one in. By no means do I think that sailing to Hawaii or Bahamas is a walk in the park but isn't that the fun part of it all, meeting the challenge? :). It's one of the reasons we keep on sailing and not say....growing orchids in a hot house as a hobby. No offense meant to any orchid growers out there who might be reading this and if you are then what are you doing on a sailing site?! Go find your own group.

sf1332

Member II
Congratulations Tom! I've been following your blog going through upgrades and fixes to your boat. Amazing how much you've done during the past few years to get ready for this trip and finally accomplishing it. Good luck with more challenges, and looking forward to seeing more blog posts!

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Tom,
I thoroughly enjoyed your video! This will be a trip that changes your perspective on the world for the rest of your life.
Well done!
Mike

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Enough's been written about the sailing, humor, videography, etc. now let's talk about those boogers. Those were pretty darn impressive. :) Great video. Enjoyed the hell out of it. And congrats on the accomplishment.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Enough's been written about the sailing, humor, videography, etc. now let's talk about those boogers. Those were pretty darn impressive. :) Great video. Enjoyed the hell out of it. And congrats on the accomplishment.
Thank you!

I think my experience demonstrates the decreased viscosity and increased adhesion of nasal mucous when one is swimming in 16,000 feet of water, alone, 500 miles from land. Cinéma vérité, indeed.