Boat selling advice needed.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Have to say, I'm a closet tiller guy, too. Although I love Makana and am very happy with her wheel, there's something about a tiller that feels like a more personal connection with the water.

One of my favorite racing memories was driving a Davidson-40 downwind in breeze in a Cabo race. Being able to carve the stern square onto a wave with a stiff tug on the tiller, and then feel the pressure on the rudder drop to fingertip sensitivity when the boat broke free and started to plane.... delightful. They pretty much had to pry me away from that thing at the end of each watch.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Maybe a lot of people have taken ASA 101, or whatever, and have no experience with tillers. They're just intimidated by the unknown. Although sometimes, when the cockpit is full of knees, and people moving back and forth, it would be nice to have a more compact option.

Last week, I got caught in a bit of a blow. So I furled the jib and headed back to the marina, sailing Arcturus like a big dinghy. 6:1 mainsheet in one hand, tiller in the other, (it was a bit of a stretch...) and had a blast!

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And there' something else besides the feel of a real sailboat and easy rig of self-steering:

With a wheel, you have to steer standing up. Downwind in heavy air that gets old fast.

But with six people in the cockpit sipping cosmopolitans, glad to have one.

Walk a sales prospect down the dock to a Farr 40 or any serious racing boat, and mutter "A wheel's all right, but the people I admire, I don't know, going fast ain't for everybody, and come to think about it, it's true that every motorboat I see has one, which is important to people who don't care to learn much about the sea, and who think a boat is just like a car. I think we can agree a wheel is the best choice for them."

e38 owner

Member III
Boats for sale

We have had some luck with the classey classiieds on latitude 38
Also Edison I think has a wheel kit that mounts on the top of a rudder post. May want to call and find out the cost and just put it in a file.
It may be less than you think and can give the buyer the info if needed

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
With a wheel, you have to steer standing up.

yeah.... I think we may be fighting against years of glossy magazine layouts showing some handsome sailor sitting to leeward of the wheel.

It looks ever so sexy! (laughing)

attachment.php

Attachments

• leeward.JPG
    leeward.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 129

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Most of the ads in, and readers of, Good Old Boat seem to be from conscientious seafarers a few cuts above the average stinkpotter. Try that. I don't think their boat ads are expensive and subscribers might even get one free a year.