Boat HIN and documentation year built not clear.

scottfree

scottfree
I have an Ericson 35 MK III. The HIN ends with 1984 but the Documentation # shows 1983. I don't understand the year my boat was built. I can understand the other way around but how can it be documented before the hull is laid up?

scottfreejd@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have an Ericson 35 MK III. The HIN ends with 1984 but the Documentation # shows 1983. I don't understand the year my boat was built. I can understand the other way around but how can it be documented before the hull is laid up?

scottfreejd@yahoo.com

Hmmm.... Well, as you say the HIN shows when the hull was laid up. The Documentation record might start when the Paperwork was filled out. Maybe?
And that original purchaser might have completed the form before the boat was done? I wonder if the month part of the HIN code might for December?

OK. I'm out of guesses.
Anyone else? Class? Bueller??!!

Loren

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Boat HIN Model Year

This is actually not unusual for boat HINs of that era. Like cars, a boat may be built in a year previous to its "Model Year". The boat HIN may actually be recording the Model year, not the Manufacture year.

So, for instance, if the last four digits of your HIN were M84A, that would indicate a 1984 "Model Year", with the hull certified August 1983.

I have more written up on this subject here.

Full disclosure: I wrote the HINSearch App (website linked to above) and learned way too much about HINs in the process.

Last edited: