Before I donate it

mybuddy

I'm looking for any advice on donating an Ericson 30 in the SF bay area. It's a 1969 in need of new bottom paint, some hopefully moderate work to get the Atomic four running again and just noticed rust in one of the shrouds. I'm now physically unable to do this work and dealing with family member health issues, and just plain aged out. I'm looking at sites online but have no idea where to turn to. I just want to pass this part of history on. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Sorry to read about your family and age problems forcing you to give up on your boat. My sympathies. I’m an east coast sailor, Chesapeake Bay to be exact and here there is the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum which takes boats as donations to raise funds for the museum. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t something like that in the SF Bay Area but if there isn’t and you don’t mind loosing the tax deduction that would come with donating a boat to a charitable organization, then maybe offer the boat for sale on this site for the price of one dollar, to make it legal. It would be like donating (without the tax advantage) and it may go to someone (or someone who knows someone) that is interested in Ericsons but can’t afford the initial purchase. Just my two cents worth of advice.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
mybuddy, Seems like we will all be there sometime. Might want to check with the Sea Scouts and/or BADS -Bay Area Disabled Sailors. Or offer on CL or FB for free. Good luck to you.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
A rusty shroud and missing paint does not a free boat make. What is the interior like? List it for 5k and let them talk you down. Free means valueless. 5000k for a popular model of a legendary vessel should find a home somewhere.

mybuddy

A rusty shroud and missing paint does not a free boat make. What is the interior like? List it for 5k and let them talk you down. Free means valueless. 5000k for a popular model of a legendary vessel should find a home somewhere.
great advice! I'll give it a try first! Thank you.

Dills

Palm Beaches Sailing
I know a sailer in the Bay area, I will reach out to. question is she in the water or on a trailer, or possibly in a yard (marina/ boat yard)?