Battery Health--hydrometer, plus potential starter motor isssues

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Per CW:
"So, anybody with a 30-year old starter motor ignored since installation, I think we ought to at least take it out to dinner once, ask how it's doing, give it some appreciation for long uncomplaining loyalty, and then ballroom dancing.
Don't keep it out late and get it back on the boat in time for breakfast.
Work on the relationship!"

Pete the Cat

Member III
I will reiterate my electrical mantra. In my 40 years, nearly all my electrical challenges with boats have ended up being corroded connections--even when they looked great. The big one is always the negative ground for your system. Current and salt air are a maintenance nightmare. I always wonder how many folks pull their starters, solenoids, and alternators for service and I convinced that they needed service when it was really just cleaning up all the connection in the process that solved the problem.

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
I will reiterate my electrical mantra. In my 40 years, nearly all my electrical challenges with boats have ended up being corroded connections--even when they looked great. The big one is always the negative ground for your system. Current and salt air are a maintenance nightmare. I always wonder how many folks pull their starters, solenoids, and alternators for service and I convinced that they needed service when it was really just cleaning up all the connection in the process that solved the problem.

and all those can be very easily isolated with a voltage drop test which any cheap amazon voltmeter is more than capable of doing.

for that matter, due to life and needing a replacement voltmeter, I bought a model that had an inductive ammeter as well, very useful for troubleshooting.

jmho and two cents worth, over 20 years of wrenching experience ASE certified Master Auto and Diesel as well as FAA Airframe and Powerplant

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For the record, Jaybee (and anyone else), perhaps you would describe for us how to do such tests, and of what.

Many of us have complicated multimeters we don't really know how to use, or use infrequently, and a reminder of the basics is always useful.

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
For the record, Jaybee (and anyone else), perhaps you would describe for us how to do such tests, and of what.

Many of us have complicated multimeters we don't really know how to use, or use infrequently, and a reminder of the basics is always useful.
From the intermittent starter thread