Are there any other Ericson other then the 41 that has a V drive?

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
The Cruising World article about the Ericson 41 talks about how bad the V drive is and recommended if repowering considering turning the engine around and doing a modern strut and shaft. I have only spent a few hours running the boat before we pulled it for the refit but found it was impossible for backing.

I have just removed the cabinetry around the engine and looking at the angles it does look like it makes more since to turn the engine around and do a prop and strut in front of the rudder rather then out of the back of the keel.

Has anyone had any experience doing this?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Only about the subject line, I have been aboard a late-70's E-34 (the IOR model) and it did have a V Drive with an A4 engine. I did not see it run, however.

rjanders

Member I
Hi Mike, my 1969 32-2 has a v drive. Backing up poorly is more an issue with the propeller, the drive has nothing to do with it, it simply transfers power to the prop shaft. The v drive does make it nearly impossible to adjust my shaft packing tho, it is well hidden underneath. 9 bolts later it is easily accessible to change packing when needed. Get a little way on, put it in neutral, and she should back up just fine. IMHO

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Hello, erstwhile production line neighbor. My ‘69 32-2 #112 also has a v-drive A4. This arrangement has many benefits bt also many drawbacks when anything concerning the shaft is involved. I guess I’m neutral on it overall.