Anyone use LMR-240UF for their VHF/AIS coax?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'm getting close to putting my rig back together, and one of the last bits is the coax.

I read Maine Sail's article about LMR-400 Ultra-flex (a great low-loss cable), but between the weight and the bulk I'm not sure it is the best solution for me. So I'm pondering LMR-240 Ultra-flex. Same UV-protected coating, same robust shielding, nearly as good on loss, much better spec (and weather resistance) than other equivalent size (eg, RG-8X) cable.

Before I pull the trigger on it, anyone have great (or horrible) experiences with this stuff?

For bonus points, I'd welcome ideas for doing strain-relief at the top of the rig. I'm leaning toward simply using a couple of these
attachment.php

...in between the exit from the mast and the bottom of the antenna, appropriately sized to support the weight of the cable inside the mast without crushing the coax cover.

Good idea? Bad idea? Any better ideas?

Attachments

• 204546.jpg
    204546.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 281

Pat C.

Member III
Whatever you choose just be sure it is tinned wire. Number of years ago Practical Sailor did an article that showed comparable performance for marine vs AV coax but they forgot that rather important point. Think they felt a little embarrassed when called out on that one.