Anchoring gear on a race boat

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
My Ericson 33 was used primarily for racing and for that purpose I have only a marginal size danforth with some rope stowed in a small anchor locker in the bow with no roller . Strictly emergency use or maybe for a lunch hook .
Since acquiring the boat over two years ago , I have not done any overnight trips , but I’ve been thinking about it. I think I should at least add some chain , but I’m wondering if there is any way to make hauling the anchor in/out easier without damaging the boat ? I’m not looking to making any permanent modifications at this stage , but maybe I can find some kind of detachable roller or perhaps putting a length of hose on the lifelines (?) .

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What would the destination be, and the nature of holding ground/crowds and so on.

To me, anchoring in SoCal is a challenge, I head for Catalina and security of $50/night moorings. But for the Channel Islands, somebody can outline the required gear and skill set.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
What would the destination be, and the nature of holding ground/crowds and so on.

To me, anchoring in SoCal is a challenge, I head for Catalina and security of $50/night moorings. But for the Channel Islands, somebody can outline the required gear and skill set.
I’ve anchored on another boat back in the 90’s at Coches Prietos ( Santa Cruz Island) and several other locations on the Channel Islands. If I was in SoCal again , I would definitely want to cruise again to these beautiful locations.
We are in windy Sausalito in the SF Bay Area . Lots of wind , current, choppy and I think mostly muddy bottom . Half Moon bay might be a possible offshore location but I want to investigate a few protected Bay Area options first like Paradise cove .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our anchor set up is pictured in this prior thread. Same line and chain now except that last year I replaced the Danforth with an aluminum Fortress anchor that (barely) fits in the same molded-in recess.
your boat displaces a bit less than ours but has perhaps similar windage. Our setup might be a good starting point for your calculations.
It would be nice to have a bow roller assembly that would chock the anchor ready for use, rather than always wrestling it in and out of the locker, admittedly. But, hindsight is always 20-20.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Our anchor set up is pictured in this prior thread. Same line and chain now except that last year I replaced the Danforth with an aluminum Fortress anchor that (barely) fits in the same molded-in recess.
your boat displaces a bit less than ours but has perhaps similar windage. Our setup might be a good starting point for your calculations.
It would be nice to have a bow roller assembly that would chock the anchor ready for use, rather than always wrestling it in and out of the locker, admittedly. But, hindsight is always 20-20.
Your anchor compartment looks very similar to mine. How do you pull the anchor/chain up without rubbing on your railings or hull ?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I have some of the same issues about anchoring with the 911 (8300 lbs).
1.) I prefer to race a little more than cruise. So slips and raft-ups in marinas server me well as I welcome a good nights sleep and a real head.
2.) Make boat friends that don't mind letting you tying up to them on cruise outs! Pick boat friends for that reason!
3.) When you do need to anchor. I have found I need at least 30' of chain (boat length) or a length of chain that is fully deployed so that the rope rode is what rubs on the toe rail. You will also need a bucket with a length of rope tied to a very sturdy handle so you can fill it from the deck by dipping it. You will need the bucket to wash the muck off the anchor. But only the amount of muck you can stand on your deck or wherever you store your anchor. A good pair of rubber/ vinyl garden gloves is also very handy. When I anchor, I try to anchor in about 8-12' of water (mind the tide!). To pull anchor, when possible, I will pull the boat forward on the rode by hand until i see chain. I will cleat off the rode. Sometimes the wind and current is enough to break the anchor loose. Other times you will need to use the motor to slowly over-run and loose the anchor. If you have someone driving, you can sometimes do this in one pass but it is tricky and you must watch your hands. Getting the right amount of inertia is the trick.