Aft Chain Plate

fixntheboat

Member II
Have 1974 ,E32-2. Has anyone removed and replaced the aft chain plate.. It is completely buried in the glass..??And I can tell water has intruded.. Any thoughts on this.. Seems can of wormy... tear out ,reinforce and repair. replace new on exterior transom..???

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just to be clear, it reads like you are dealing with the "chain plate" on the transom that anchors the back stay? If it were me, and it is not, I would just use the buried piece of SS bar as a "backing plate" and change to an external ss plate. admittedly I might have to find a graceful way to get this new external piece over the hull/deck joint. Other owners of 70's EY boats will have good ideas, I would guess.

fixntheboat

Member II
Just to be clear, it reads like you are dealing with the "chain plate" on the transom that anchors the back stay? If it were me, and it is not, I would just use the buried piece of SS bar as a "backing plate" and change to an external ss plate. admittedly I might have to find a graceful way to get this new external piece over the hull/deck joint. Other owners of 70's EY boats will have good ideas, I would guess.
The hull on the aft is smooth and a chain plate mounted on the exterior would move connection aft approx 1-2 inches. on the inside the plate and however it is affixed is buried...I'm not sure which way, if there are bolts, they face.. One thought is to abandon and grind off top of. and bury old. and move slightly to the side.?? I would like centered so I guess ,break out the grinder,, on the interior..

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oops, I did not clearly explain my thoughts. I would trace the outline of the "buried" OEM chainplate on the outside of the transom. then mark off and bore holes right thru the transom and the hidden inside plate. While the old hidden/glassed over plate may will have holes it it already, I cannot see an easy way to drill and line them up from outside. Perhaps other owners will have ideas based on experience. A row of 3/8" SS bolts should do the job.
Here is a link to an older picture of our transom with the standard late-80's SS plate installed, just for comparison. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/transom-thru-hull-replacement.7890/#post-152493

Last edited: