Adventures on the SF Bay

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Went in a different direction this time from Sausalito and sailed to the bay bridge. Conditions became more extreme near the bridge) , so decided to turn around at that point. It was blowing hard in the marina on return (gusts to 25-30 ) and probably should have waited it out in the bay , but decided to dock anyway ( I was alone single handed so in retrospect a bad decision ) . Sailed all the way into Richardson bay looking for a calm spot to drop the main . Usually there is a wind line . No such luck . Still nuking all the way in the bay . Finally got the main down - don’t get near the anchored boats.. start engine and then what happens? - a clog in cooling system so engine is going to overheat . Put the main back up ( it’s still blowing 20 knots and it’s double reefed ) , shut engine off and sail closer to marina with engine off . Turn engine on again , drop main and motor quickly into slip against 20 knots of wind. I’m lucky a neighbor was at my slip to help secure the boat . Slept like a baby on the boat last night . Live and learn .

Attachments

• 97596659-96CD-4E23-8D20-B060E7464055.jpeg
    97596659-96CD-4E23-8D20-B060E7464055.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 23