911 SE rig tune

OnLakeErie

First post - as a new Olson 911SE owner.

...Does anyone have true numbers, ideas, processes, or suggestions of the general tuning for the 911SE rig? Mine is non-furler, tough luff. I am looking for headstay tension, and standing rigging tuning numbers.

Thanks guys! Hopefully someone has some answers or suggestions

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Sadly, I have no insight for you but I grew up in Erie and taught sailing at EYC for many years. Where do you keep your boat?

T Enders

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I'm not sure of the numbers, but the tension is usually predicated by the diameter of the shroud.

After the initial tensions are set, if the 911S is a fractional rig (I'm not sure), then see the excellent, "owners bulletin for the E-33," which is from the Ericson factory (Don Kohlman) about 1983. It is in the documents section here at Ericsonyachts.org and it has a stepwise procedure to fine tune the rig. It's a generic process so I think it could be used for any fractional rig, not just the E33.

Good luck
:egrin:

Slick470

Member III
Due to the low production numbers, I'm not sure that there has ever been a true tuning guide for the Olson 911. However, there was once a class association that tried to document some information in a newsletter. I have 4 or 5 of them. In one of them there is an interview with Brad Read with some general mast tuning steps and a few pointers on sail selection and optimizing a few points of sail. The discussion is from 1996 and generally covers a Pacific Boats built Olson 911, but it's a starting point.

I've copied that newsletter below. Note: there is some additional mast tuning information as an addendum on the last page.

Pages 1-5:View attachment Olson911 Class #5 1.pdfView attachment Olson911 Class #5 2.pdfView attachment Olson911 Class #5 3.pdfView attachment Olson911 Class #5 4.pdfView attachment Olson911 Class #5 5.pdf

Last edited:

Slick470

Member III
Pages 6-8:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Olson911 Class #5 6.pdf
    213.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Olson911 Class #5 7.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Olson911 Class #5 8.pdf
    147.8 KB · Views: 50

Slick470

Member III
Another resource is the Olson 911 mailing list. http://www.sailpix.com/email/olson911/ It doesn't get much traffic these days, but people generally respond to questions that are asked of the group. There is some good information buried in the email archives but I'm sure a lot gets lost in direct email replies. Make sure you mention that you have an Ericson hull as there are some differences between the two builds that can make a difference in responses you might get.

Also we've had our 911 for about 5 years now and I've dug through most of the boat by now to various degrees, so I'm more than happy to answer anything I can. We haven't raced it much, mainly treated it as a family day sailor so far.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A tad bit more info

A friend of ours at our YC has a Pacific Boats-built 911s. I forwarded the question over to him. He club races his boat and formerly raced a J-24 for many years.

His comment:

"I really can't offer anything of use. I looked around when I got the boat and given the somewhat unique nature of he rig, I couldn't find much. Also, this is my first exposure to rod rigging and wouldn't even know how to measure tension. I just set the mast, centered it in the boat and tightened the rig to straighten the mast. Then over the next few weeks would observe the mast in different conditions and set it up like any standard tuning where as the wind increased the mast head would drop off some to leeward. I control the head stay with my backstay changing overtime to the conditions."

I would note that the 911s rig resembles the double-spreader parallel shroud scheme on my O-34.
I do not know if the 911s uses runners to stop mast pumping when in rough seas. We have them and only have ever used them in the ocean.

I also once had rod rigging, on our prior boat, the Niagara 26. I also used a rather basic tune for that rig, with a little slack on the lee side shroud in strong winds.

Our present Olson 34 has all wire rigging, FWIW.

regards,

Loren

Slick470

Member III
Loren, If I remember right, rod rigging was standard on the Pacific built boats, wire was standard on the Ericson ones. Ours is wire. I don't have any loos numbers, but have meant to record the settings that I have now as a starting point for the next time I need to do any rig work or adjustments. Our mast was originally tuned by the rigger at the boatyard where we took delivery. He raced on a similar boat and felt he got it to a pretty good place and I haven't had any issues with it yet.

The 911's are also able to be rigged with check stays to prevent pumping of the mast or to straighten out the mast and put power back into the main when the wind is up and the backstay is on tight. Our boat has always been in lighter wind venues and does not have them installed, however there is a slot in the mast where they would attach. The factory install met the MORC rules where the checks were led to short tracks or padeyes on the cabin top on either side of the companionway. Due to the angle, these were only sort of effective and put a sideways loading on the mast. Most owners who sail the boats in areas that the checks are needed have modified them to be led to the stern. Some even have elaborate pvc whips to keep the checks clear of the mainsail when they are not in use.

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
To get in the ball park...

The Capo 30 is almost the same design and if there are any tuning guides from sailmakers or owners out there you will be more than close enough if you use those values.

Any of the production Andrews 30's (MORC style) are also so close you would be fine to use those numbers.

Failing that, the Santana 30/30 is also a VERY similar boat- especially the standard deck (aka "PC" for Performance Cruiser. The "GP" which is the flush deck version will also work, and might have the same tuning numbers. If you use this as a reference, just be sure you use the "30/30" which is a Nelson-Marek design and not the Santana 30, which is an older design by Shad Turner IIRC.

Any of these 3 boats are so close to the 911 that the guides for them will get you to a workable base setting, which you can refine according to your sails, and sailing style.

Good luck!