72 E35-2 Waste Vent Clogged

rkiesling

When trying to pump out, the waste water surges for a few minutes, which indicates that air is not getting into the system, someone with a little experience with the system told me. Apparently, the vent is on the side of the hull a little forward of deck fitting. This person said to funnel some Jet Dry into the vent and let it dissolve the blockage, but I have rigged a clear plastic siphon, and the cleaner is standing in the siphon tube, so it looks like this isn't working. I would like to know if this is actually the vent port and how I should proceed to clear the vent tube.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not a quick solution, but you may want to inspect the vent hose outlet fitting on the HT and then trace the old hose to the hull outlet. If that piece of reinforced tubing is over 20 yers old, just replace it. I find that many/most boat builders used a chromed pot metal casting for those vent fittings and they unfortunately corrode out over time. I replaced our OEM ones with new SS fittings a few years ago.
Good luck!

Last edited:

rkiesling

Right, the hose's path is easy to follow, so that should be easy enough to replace. The head I think is the original, I'll check whether the fitting is still good. Thank you very much!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the boat is new to you, check the valves again. If you can pump overboard as well as extract waste from the deck it's easy to have the several valves set wrong for station pump-out.

rkiesling

Thanks - I need to find the model of the toilet, and hopefully find a manual that explains the functions of each switch, and also of the valves in the HT lines. I've been thinking that I might have a real weekend of marine head research, but the direction is very much appreciated. The documentary of your Hawaii passage, btw, is one of the videos that convinced me I could do this - thank you very much for releasing it!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks - I need to find the model of the toilet, and hopefully find a manual that explains the functions of each switch, and also of the valves in the HT lines. I've been thinking that I might have a real weekend of marine head research, but the direction is very much appreciated. The documentary of your Hawaii passage, btw, is one of the videos that convinced me I could do this - thank you very much for releasing it!
Sometimes there is no manual available, or the previous owner has modified the system so the manual no longer applies. But a careful, common sense approach to figuring out how it all works can give you the information you need. If not, documenting what you find and posting pictures on this site will help the experts here to give advice on possible solutions.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Frank

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Photos, photos! Take some photos with your cell phone of the mystery head, hoses and valves (at their current settings), maybe even the outside of the vent too and post them here for all to see. One of us might spot your problem right off. If you’re new to all this or too close to the problem you may be missing a simple solution.