35-3 New Sink

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
We're firmly in the putting-things-back-together stage of our work this winter and with that comes installing a new sink. This one was high on my wife's list. The old sink wasn't too bad, but it was small and somewhat flimsy. We found the new one on Amazon:

Sink:

Drain (the one included with the sink had plastic parts):

Tail Piece:

Faucet:

First step was removal which was the impetus for finally pulling the trigger on this portion of the project. I needed the sink out of the way to gain better access to the plumbing and thru hulls I was replacing. the removal was covered under this thread:

From there, the new sink sat in my garage for 3 months while I worked on everything else. I finally got to the install part this weekend. I started by cutting a template out of some scrap particle board using a track saw for the majority of the cuts and a jig saw to finish up the corners:
20230211_112202.jpg

The fit was good with plenty of room for final adjustment, but the tabs to hold the sink to the counter were in the way. I wanted to install some long threaded rod and anchor the sink to the cabinet from below where they would be easy to remove, but I ultimately decided on using sealant along the flange instead. There was some butt puckering while grinding on the new sink, fortunately, it's much thicker metal than the sink that came on the boat, so I had some room to make mistakes.

20230211_114111.jpg

At the boat, I screwed the template down and used a jig saw to rough cut the opening and a multi tool to finish it off. I wanted to use a palm router with a top bearing flush cut bit, but quickly realized the template was too close to the fiddles and bulkhead to fit the router base. The opening is rougher that I wanted, but no one will notice once the sink is in.
20230211_144338.jpg

And here's where the project sits:

20230211_144550.jpg

Now I just need to paint the cabinet, install the hardware, and bed it in sealant. I think this is going to be a huge improvement. Another great write up on this project can be found at:

dhill

Member III
We're firmly in the putting-things-back-together stage of our work this winter and with that comes installing a new sink. This one was high on my wife's list. The old sink wasn't too bad, but it was small and somewhat flimsy. We found the new one on Amazon:

Sink:

Drain (the one included with the sink had plastic parts):

Tail Piece:

Faucet:

First step was removal which was the impetus for finally pulling the trigger on this portion of the project. I needed the sink out of the way to gain better access to the plumbing and thru hulls I was replacing. the removal was covered under this thread:

From there, the new sink sat in my garage for 3 months while I worked on everything else. I finally got to the install part this weekend. I started by cutting a template out of some scrap particle board using a track saw for the majority of the cuts and a jig saw to finish up the corners:
View attachment 45900

The fit was good with plenty of room for final adjustment, but the tabs to hold the sink to the counter were in the way. I wanted to install some long threaded rod and anchor the sink to the cabinet from below where they would be easy to remove, but I ultimately decided on using sealant along the flange instead. There was some butt puckering while grinding on the new sink, fortunately, it's much thicker metal than the sink that came on the boat, so I had some room to make mistakes.

View attachment 45901

At the boat, I screwed the template down and used a jig saw to rough cut the opening and a multi tool to finish it off. I wanted to use a palm router with a top bearing flush cut bit, but quickly realized the template was too close to the fiddles and bulkhead to fit the router base. The opening is rougher that I wanted, but no one will notice once the sink is in.
View attachment 45902

And here's where the project sits:

View attachment 45903

Now I just need to paint the cabinet, install the hardware, and bed it in sealant. I think this is going to be a huge improvement. Another great write up on this project can be found at:

@trickdhat , looks great! Like the faucet choice as well! Is that the 17" x 19" x 9" version?

Thanks!
Dave

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I got the faucet mounted last night and sent the pic to my wife... Her response, "Put some pots in there and show me what it looks like". I think this is going to be a huge improvement. Added bonus, the pull out faucet reaches the companion way, so we will have hot fresh water in the cockpit without cutting a hole in the fiberglass!20230227_191149.jpg
and here's the painted cabinet. The lower right corner is left unpainted because water ingress from the vents passes through here and I painted in the winter during a wet weekend. Not perfect, but much better than it was
20230227_191222.jpg
Parts for the plumbing are still trickling in including a stainless water manifold to distribute the raw water intake. I'll work on getting the fresh water system complete so I can finish a pressure test and bed the sink.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Does not look like you will have this problem with your faucet, but I put in a Delta one handle faucet on my Tartan and did not like it. Sometimes something would fall on it in a rough sea and open it a bit and i would waste a lot of water. I ended up taking it out and putting a two handled faucet that were horizontal back in. I did get a a faucet that was higher over the sink so that I could get a pail or pot under it and I like that feature a lot. FWIW.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
The original foot pump configuration, at least how it came to me, was really difficult to work around. The hoses came off the top and went directly to their source which made it really difficult to reach into the cabinet and work on the pumps. When reinstalling, I wanted to route the hoses below the pump and install some bulkhead hose barb connectors to make disconnecting the pump or the sink faucets easier. I made a bracket for the house barbs out of aluminum angle stock. I still have to install a raw water manifold to connect the raw water thru hull, raw water foot pump, ice box drains, and a new raw water wash down pump. Hopefully this will make the area under the sink a little easier to work in.

20230305_132128.jpg

20230305_132138.jpg20230305_132131.jpg

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
The original foot pump configuration, at least how it came to me, was really difficult to work around. The hoses came off the top and went directly to their source which made it really difficult to reach into the cabinet and work on the pumps. When reinstalling, I wanted to route the hoses below the pump and install some bulkhead hose barb connectors to make disconnecting the pump or the sink faucets easier. I made a bracket for the house barbs out of aluminum angle stock. I still have to install a raw water manifold to connect the raw water thru hull, raw water foot pump, ice box drains, and a new raw water wash down pump. Hopefully this will make the area under the sink a little easier to work in.
What do you charge per hour? I'll set you up with first class tickets to NJ, and a recently renovated third-floor bedroom suite for you to stay in while you work your magic on our galley sink. Sound good? ;) Excellent work. Really enjoying the photos documenting everything.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Man, is there a lot going on under our Ericson sinks. In that dark miniature hole of thruhulls and pumps and manifold and convolution of hose waits the measure of us all.

I just changed the hose in my kitchen pull-out faucet, a miserably unrewarding job in tight quarters, except that I kept thinking "yeah but at least I'm not doing this on the boat."

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
What do you charge per hour? I'll set you up with first class tickets to NJ, and a recently renovated third-floor bedroom suite for you to stay in while you work your magic on our galley sink. Sound good? ;) Excellent work. Really enjoying the photos documenting everything.
Ha, this is the interwebs. Things like details and timelines get glossed over. I started this project on September 30th last year. at the time it was just bottom paint, a new dripless shaft seal, and replacement of the cutlass bearing. Now I'm talking about plumbing the foot pumps and replacing the sink (what do they say... "everything but the kitchen sink"?), and I'm still not done! No one would want to work with me on an hourly basis, so I'll keep my day job. But the compliment is greatly appreciated! Thank You.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I made a bracket for the house barbs out of aluminum angle stock.
Nice idea, and it looks like something purchased off-the-shelf. But where'd you get double-ended hose barbs with threads for the locking nuts?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I tried to find some locally, but ended up going the Amazon route:

It always amazes me how difficult something so simple in theory is to actually source. I had the same issue when finding a stainless manifold. You'd think there's enough people out there that would want the ability to gang together a few valves without piecing something together out of tees, elbows, and nipples, but it's incredibly difficult to find. The only place I could find was Aliexpress which is never a fun experience. It's been three weeks and I'm still waiting. Fingers crossed it comes this week. In comparison, the bulkhead double barb fitting was easy to find.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
It's finally installed! Mostly... Still have the sink drain to plumb, but I need to wait for the sealant to dry before I can finish that up. The plumbing below is is about 90% as well with the connection to the raw water manifold and the drains remaining20230321_181435.jpg20230321_183014.jpg

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
It's finally installed! Mostly... Still have the sink drain to plumb, but I need to wait for the sealant to dry before I can finish that up. The plumbing below is is about 90% as well with the connection to the raw water manifold and the drains
Beautiful Nick. I'd pay admission to study that and bask in its glory. Thanks for sharing.