35-2 bulkhead repair

Queequeg

Thought this might be of benefit to other owners. The chainplates have been upgraded and the bulkhead glassed into the hull - she is tough as nails now!
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,368
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 972

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Strong!

Welcome aboard the forum. Details of the project, reasons, materials, costs, are always of interest, especially on projects like this that others will be faced with.

Queequeg

Reasons etc

When I bought "Rhiannon" originally named "Tenacidad", the surveyor pointed to the rot in the bulkhead around the chainplates. The rigger looked at the chainplates and said "we can do better" - so for about AUD$5k which is about US$12.50, I had a local shipwright make a bomb-proof modification, he said this is how they do it these days and I for one don't mind strong!!

A new standing/running rig has cost about AUD$25k, new genoa $4k - sails like a dream, so on to skin fittings, stern gland and Yanmar overhaul. "Bring Out Another Thousand" indeed but I used to waste my money on wine, women and song - still singing though, cheers from Oz.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just checked an on-line currency site. AUD 1. = .722 US today. Not too far apart now.

Did you mean that the new rig was 2.5K AUD? (and not AUD25k ?)
:0

Loren

ps: approve of the Fleetwood Mac naming reference....
:)

pps: another great quote: “I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.”
― W.C. Fields

Last edited:

Queequeg

2,5k I wish

Hello Loren beach, poor attempt at humorous reference to falling Aussie dollar. The mast is tough as old boots however the spreaders were shot, the fittings corroded, in general no maintenance for a very long time meant replacing nearly all the running and standing rigging.
The boat sails so beautifully that I want to keep her for twenty years, if I live that long I'll be ready to swallow the hook, so $25,000 over 20 years is about $25 a week, less than a bottle of scotch a month - well worth it
Rhiannon was a welsh goddess known for for her fighting spirit - not my choice but Thelonius was taken!

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Now that's my kind of repair. (I did one like it myself on my 32 a few years ago.) I'd say you got a fair price at $5k, especially if that includes new chain plates. Did the yard use G10 underneath the epoxy and cloth? Curious as to why it appears that one side of the repair is not tapered into the wood of the remaining bulkhead.

I've been to Australia by sea and by air, most recently by air this summer to Perth and Sydney. I got your joke. How did your boat end up in Sydney?

Queequeg

Glad you got the gag tenders, yes I would love to know how my boat ended up in the land Oz as well, maybe I should call her Toto (not keen on Dorothy).
G10 is a term I'm unfamiliar with, the shipwright is a young fella just kicking off his own business up on the lake - he was quite keen to glass into the hull as the original bulkhead was only laminated on one side.
Let me know if you make back this way, be nice to meet another Ericson owner in person, btw my son's name is Eric which may have played a part in choosing the boat.
attachment.php

This is her before the new rig etc. In case anyone on this site recognises her.

Attachments

• 0_3.jpg
    0_3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,363
Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
G10 or garolite refers to prefabricated sheets of epoxy and fiberglass that are super-strong and can be cut and shaped using carbide woodworking tools, or the equivalent. As strong as aluminum, maybe as stiff, and much easier to adhere to and finish as it doesn't corrode. It's very useful in structural repairs like yours, and as backing plates, and is what I used for strength in place of the wood in my bulkhead repair. I also used it as the weather-facing top layer of recored deck projects. It isn't cheap but I consider it very reasonably priced taking into account the labor that would be necessary to build up an equivalent thickness of hand-laid epoxy and glass.

I buy large sheets up to 1/4" thick from an online US industrial supply store called McMaster.com, and small pieces of thick stuff from shops that sell leftover odds end ends of their projects on eBay. I would not be surprised if a slug if it were embedded in your repair - I see no sign of wood there.

Does that lake of yours have access to the ocean? My daughter and I spent a day hiking up and around Barrenjoey Lighthouse and Ku-Ring-Gai Chase park ... wow.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-and-Bulkhead-replace/page3&p=52891#post52891

Last edited:

Queequeg

Yeah the only birds on my boat are the ones I don't want! (inappropriate 1960's comment)

@tenders - the insurance company was rightly concerned about the chainplate/bulkhead situation however once I sent them the pics and the shipwrights comments it was smiles all around. Thanks for the link, you've done this stuff before I can see.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...m2!3m1!1s0x6b7326e261ac8e67:0x5017d6816334620

The lake opens to sea via a raising bridge on the main highway so a request needs to be made an hour prior to entry/exit. There is also a bar crossing. The lake is a very popular stop for cruising yachts, it is around 25 to 30 feet deep for most of it and offers glorious breezes from all points of the compass. <end of="" sales="" pitch="">

This is my first keel boat and while I have sailed and worked offshore I don't have the confidence to take on the exit just yet. In Feb next year the Admiral and I are doing a 5 day offshore skippers training which is aimed at giving you all the skills to get in and out of any coastal port, I'm really looking forward to it.

In the meantime I'll keep reworking the electrics (ughh), the skin fittings/valves and the trusty Yanmar needs some loving - otherwise ready to rock n roll.
attachment.php

ps I grew up on the edge of Kuring-gai national park and I'm moving to an island on the river that empties out at Barrenjoey Headland - all going well the boat will be on a swing mooring outside our boatshed this time next year.</end></inappropriate>

Attachments

• photo 3_2.jpg
    photo 3_2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,018
Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Awesome, positively awesome. You're going to have one heck of a setup there once your boat is outside your island estate.

I believe your wood rail is an upgrade from a previous owner - most including mine have a rubber insert inside a metal rail. The wood looks nice but I'd be too lazy to keep it varnished.

Queequeg

Varnish is something the old boys used to drink. Me I prefer single malt, west coast whiskey.

I am almost overwhelmed by the work I've created for myself, but now I've grabbed the tiger by the tail it's too late to let go.

Come to Sydney, bring knowledge, I'll provide the beer :)