34-2 Interior Wood Refresh

JSM

Member III
One of my projects this spring will be to refinish / refresh the interior wood work. The companion way, engine cover and parts of the galley are faded from UV exposure while the rest of the interior is in decent shape.
Does anyone know what finish was used on the 34-2 in '87 ?
I" thinking of using a UV resistant polyurethane and was wondering what anyone else may have had success with.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am pretty sure that in '88 an oil finish was standard, and for $$$ the factory would do a varnish finish.
Ours was oiled, and badly neglected and dirty. We finally got tired of how dark it looked, and cleaned & refinished it with varnish, after first bleaching out all of the light cherry stain that EY had applied with the oil to "blend in" the different veneers and solid teak trims. I have some pix in my blog here of that adventure.
Here is the one with the pix: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/another-fall-another-bulkhead.107/

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
One of my projects this spring will be to refinish / refresh the interior wood work. The companion way, engine cover and parts of the galley are faded from UV exposure while the rest of the interior is in decent shape.
Does anyone know what finish was used on the 34-2 in '87 ?
I" thinking of using a UV resistant polyurethane and was wondering what anyone else may have had success with.
Our ‘73 E32-II has a Mahogany interior instead of Teak. Regardless, it too succumbed to years of UV and the inevitable water staining.

When replacing the bulkheads we refurbished everything using a MinWax “Gunstock” stain to obtain a more consistent coloring on everything that darkened and closely matched the old original finish.

Attachments

• BCCF203A-C7B5-457D-8A7D-D5FD9C996F1F.jpeg
    BCCF203A-C7B5-457D-8A7D-D5FD9C996F1F.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 57309BC9-5415-4D81-B92B-F841A12D7401.jpeg
    57309BC9-5415-4D81-B92B-F841A12D7401.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 1599EEC4-72DB-42A7-B216-36ABD9BE10FD.jpeg
    1599EEC4-72DB-42A7-B216-36ABD9BE10FD.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 37

Bob Robertson

Member III
Our '88 38-200 teak was finished with teak oil. For a number of years we used teak oil to refresh the finish. For the past 10 or 15 years we've been using a product called AuLWooD cleaner and polish. It's much easier to apply and has a better look. We apply it with a piece of thin cloth like t-shirt cloth and then about 2 hours later we wipe it down with a dry piece of t-shirt cloth. We apply it once a year and it looks great and it doesn't require any prep.

Aulwood.jpg

JSM

Member III
When replacing the bulkheads we refurbished everything using a MinWax “Gunstock” stain to obtain a more consistent coloring on everything that darkened and closely matched the old original finish.
Thanks, did you use the Minwax Gunstock stain on the UV faded areas ?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks, did you use the Minwax Gunstock stain on the UV faded areas ?
Yes…especially on those to darken and help unify the colors of the various woods used. The original Mahogany had a different grain pattern than what we could find in a marine grade ply so getting a color consistency was important to us.

Stuphoto

Member III
Kapnkd,
Did you find a marine grade plywood large enough for your port side bulkhead, or is it spliced together?
It looks pretty good either way.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Kapnkd,
Did you find a marine grade plywood large enough for your port side bulkhead, or is it spliced together?
It looks pretty good either way.
We luckily found a local hard woods dealer that had 4’ X 8’ sheets of double sided Mahogany veneered marine plywood in both 3/4 & 1/2” thickness.

…What we initially worried about was being able to get the largest (single piece) main bulkhead panel down the companionway and into the cabin.

We made full size cardboard templates to make sure it fit plus to serve as an exact fitting template for the new bulkheads. (Marine grade veneered ply isn’t cheap so it was a matter of getting it right on the first cut.)

Saverio

Member III
Our ‘73 E32-II has a Mahogany interior instead of Teak. Regardless, it too succumbed to years of UV and the inevitable water staining.

hello in the last photo above the ladder what is it? an air conditioner or heater, can you please give me an indication? a thousand thanks. Xavier I

kapnkd

kapnkd
hello in the last photo above the ladder what is it? an air conditioner or heater, can you please give me an indication? a thousand thanks. Xavier I
For sure…it’s a regular big box store bought (HD) wall unit AC. We bought the smallest unit we could find which fit snuggly into our area below the companionway sill. (Our 32 is a ‘73, later versions cut the sill out below the cockpit seats I think.) The small unit does a nice job of providing a cool cabin on those hot dockside days (especially when we lived in Florida from ‘73 to ‘90).

On the outside, we made a bridge deck above the AC with an easily removable panel for when it’s in use. It’s handy also for setting things on when entertaining or just relaxing in the cockpit.
0C31DCA8-4543-4EA5-A352-B0681801D408.jpeg

kapnkd

kapnkd
Since there is an Ericson 32-3, your boat should be called a model 32 Mk 2.5....!
:)
Hi Loren,

You bring up an interesting point. Perhaps a reasonable question for Martin? …If I remember correctly, back in ‘73 my boat was referred to as a “MK II”. Is there a difference between a 32 MK II and the later designation of a 32-2??? …OR…was it simply a marketing decision??