30+ random question

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Didn't really find anything in a search. Don't know if this applies to other models or not. Anyhow, in the cockpit locker there's a big bump out from the wall of the hull behind the ice box (pic attached). So... The question is - what is the purpose of this, what is behind it and would there be any structural issues from removing it (would make getting in the locker and working on the engine a lot easier) 20221130_140955.jpg

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Hmmm, mine does not have that at all. Looking at the picture it appears that it was designed to hold a propane/cooking gas bottle maybe ? Guessing it wouldn't be structural but someone with a later model may know more.

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Hmmm, mine does not have that at all. Looking at the picture it appears that it was designed to hold a propane/cooking gas bottle maybe ? Guessing it wouldn't be structural but someone with a later model may know more.
I still have the normal propane locker in the lazarette. The holder in the picture was where PO had a fire extinguisher stowed. Is you don't have it at all then it sounds like I can probably remove it. Thanks.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
My Discovery is a 1983 30+ model and behind the ice box is a trash receptacle in the port side lazarette, no bump out.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
There were fairly extensive changes made to the 30+ mid year 1984 somewhere around hull #635 give or take. Both Mark and I have the original design but there are many on the site that have 30+2 hulls and may shed more light. It seems to me a lot of design and fabrication just to hold a fire extinguisher though.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I recognize that wooden stand! It's for the old CNG tank. Someone converted to propane and left the stand? I have one just like it on my boat.
Our 1984 E30+ has that bump out made of plywood, not fibreglass. The inside is hollow, and now contains our fridge compressor, and the start battery sits on top of the shelf. The house batteries are in the battery locker under the quarterberth.
Frank

peaman

Sustaining Member
I recognize that wooden stand! It's for the old CNG tank. Someone converted to propane and left the stand? I have one just like it on my boat.
Agreed. My 1987 32-3 had an identical wood base with webbing straps which held a CNG tank rig. It also had a proper propane tank locker built-in under an aft bench.

It would be an easy matter to take a hole saw or spade bit and install a peep hole in the side of the "bump out" so you can peer inside to help decide how to proceed. I'm confident that the bump out can be cut away pretty much in its entirety with no great issues as long as you don't damage the hull itself, which should be several inches beyond the main body of the bump out.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Frank that's interesting. Do you have a photo of this that you could share? It sounds a bit different than some of the other 1984 and younger boats.
Doug,
I've attached a pic as requested. The start battery sits on top, below it is the white vent for the fridge compressor and the curved part is the back of a galley cupboard which opens above the fridge in the galley.
Frank

Attachments

• 20221214_115719.jpg
    20221214_115719.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 18

Chschaus

"Voila"
Similar set-up on our 35-3, that bracket is for an LNG tank. we also have the fridge compressor on there as well.
I have never given any thought to removing it.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I've attached a pic as requested.
Thank you Frank. That's how mine is too and I stole your great idea for locating the fridge compressor below the waste receptacle. I put a shelf in there so I could use a shorter wastebasket and still have room for the compressor. I think Jaybee was referring to the fiberglass bump out that extends from the hull towards amidships just aft of the curved cupboard that is just barely visible in the lower left of your photo (photo of mine below). My boat came with a spare aluminum diesel tank on that shelf that supplied a bulkhead heater. I removed that and the heater but may replace the tank later if and plumb it to the main tank if I need extra fuel capacity. I always wondered what the apparent shelf indent was for on the lower third of the fiberglass bulge.

Jaybee, you may run into the insulation in the aft end of the icebox if you cut that bulge off. I am not sure if that bulkhead extends all the way to the hull.
16BD2CAC-BBB2-4FF4-818D-9F62D2CC5367.jpeg
Fiberglass Bumpout

FFA3A874-F59E-40BE-8692-BBD5D9016125.jpeg
Fridge Compressor Compartment

A65A345C-9BB7-43D7-A1DE-797AAD2A812A.jpeg
Battery #2 Location