1987 38 200 Lewmar Hatch questions

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi,

I'm ready for new hatches for my 1988 38 200.
This is he first time I've ordered hatches and there seems to be just a few options.
I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Thanks!
Bob

My plan is to order the following Lewmar Ocean Series hatches from Defender.

Size 20, Flat Base
Dimensions: 10-1/2"L x 16-3/16"W x 1-9/16"H
Frame Material: Anodized Aluminum, Lens Color: Smoke Gray
Brand: Lewmar
Model # : 39620050
Price $368.76

Size 60, Flat Base
Dimensions: 22-5/8"L x 22-5/8"W x 1-11/16"H
Model # : 39660050
Price $686.91

Size 70, Flat Base
Dimensions: 27-5/16"L x 27-5/16"W x 1-11/16"H
Model # : 39670050
Price $912.66

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Is the frame bad or is it only the lenses? If just the lenses why not replace them and keep the frames? See Christian's excellent blog on lense replacement. That is what I intend to do when I can ever get around to it.:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
pluses and minuses

A friend with an '86 E-38 had both the lenses replaced and they do indeed look wonderful. On the down side he still has the "old technology" hinges, i.e. the worthless (imho) "roll stop" hinges.
When we replaced both our size 70 forward hatch & later the size 20 vent hatch, in the 90's, the newer hinge design with the easy friction adjustment was almost worth the price alone.
YMMV, as they say.

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
New hatches sure give that "new boat" look. What a great upgrade.

If you have the old style (Superhatch) hinges Loren mentioned, Select Plastics sells a kit (new plastic pins etc) which pretty much fixes the problem of them falling on your head. Select Plastics will also change the lenses, but the price close to new ones.

Here's the video on DIY lens replacement. If the aluminum still looks OK, it is a fairly simple solution to crazed plastic hatches.

Bob Robertson

Member III
Thank you for your responses.

The frames are good, but the hatches are the original ones that came with the boat.
I'm a little concerned that may have more problems down the road.

I had previously planned to replace the lenses and had gotten prices (see below) from Select Plastics for replacing the Acrylic Lenses.
I'm not sure if these are the complete prices or if there are additional expenses.

I'm thinking that new hatches will last a long, long time and be problem free. I'm going to spend a little more now, but if I don't spend it now I may spend it anyway more over the next five or ten years.

Thanks again!
Bob

Size 20
Defender New Hatch $368.76
Select Plastics Acrylic Lense replacement $255.00

Size 60
Defender New Hatch $686.91
Select Plastics Acrylic Lense replacement $419.00

Size 70
Defender New Hatch $912.666
Select Plastics Acrylic Lense replacement $509.00

Last edited: