1981 E38 briefly the newest owner of an Ericson!

appick

After much back and forth agreeing to price, survey attempts and repairs, re-negotiations and delays we've finally completed our purchase of our latest boat. It's been 5 long years since a cross country move brought us to the San Diego area (GO PADRES!), and I left my last boat withering away in a storage yard in the mid-west.

I've got my work cut out for me, starting off with solving a low raw water cooling flow, then on to re-rigging, cabin top core work and topsides paint. I'm excited to get the boat out eventually and see how it sails and performs. My background in owning previous project boats for the last 24yrs and gaining much enjoyment and cursing vocabulary from all of my boats, should find me ready and willing to learn how to tackle my new list of projects before me.

Anyways just wanted to share I'm officially a part of the club and look forward to posting some write ups in the blog space.

Cheers

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I've got my work cut out for me, starting off with solving a low raw water cooling flow, then on to re-rigging, cabin top core work and topsides paint.
Welcome! This site will be your new best friend as you take on new projects. No matter the issue, someone here has been there, done that.

My low-raw-water-cooling issue (2017) was solved by replacing the elbow fitting where raw water is injected back into the exhaust riser:
20170203_213828.jpg

I'm working on replacing my standing rigging as we speak. You may be okay on the E-38, but on smaller boats, Ericson did some funny things with the toggles (under the turnbuckles). The Ericson "chain plates" are 1/2" or 12mm u-bolts (mine were 12mm). My turnbuckle toggles are 3/8" and 7/16" (pin size) which means the body of a new toggle won't fit around the 12mm u-bolts. Details here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/replaced-your-ss-standing-rigging-what-did-you-do.19750/

If you have to get custom toggles made, I'd recommend doing so before you pull your old rigging so you'll have them on hand when putting things back together.

Last edited: