1978 Ericson 30-2 #12

PYE

Here are some pics of my 30-2. It's currently for sale in the for sale section of this site and on craigslist.
During the last 5 years or so, I have upgraded or replaced a lot of things on my boat.
The engine was probably one of the most major jobs. We found the Universal m4-30 is the closest one to the original atomic 4 which had rusted through its carburator side wall.

The m4-30 is essentially a marinized kubota engine, and many kubota parts, including the injectors, will fit.
Then I went for a new sailor 2 prop by Michigan wheel, got a 12x13 with a little cupping, seems to be a good match (it took me 3 props to find this out)
The boat has massive torque now and performs well against waves and current, 5 kts with 12 kt wind and 3 kt current on the nose.

Brand new sails by Harry from H20 sails and a Harken mark IV unit 1 makes sailing a blast. New sails and running rigging make all the difference, i would replace both every 5 years if the budget allows.
In order to fit the dodger I had to move the boom up 6" which of course affected the original size of the mainsail, but since I was getting new ones, Harry was able to make it fit perfectly. I have not noticed any performance issues.

When I hauled her out in de 2020, to do bottom paint, I decided to take the red and blue faded stripe off and replace it with a modern looking orange singe stripe which I thought looked good with the pacific blue and grey of the sunbrella. That would be my triple color combo to stay with.
There are blisters, but any boat this age will show some in my experience.

As she was on the dry and y thruhulls were showing corrosion, I decided to replace all but 1 with composite Trudesign ones. I like the fact you dont have to include them in the bonding system and they are strong enough to compete with brass or steel ones, ABYC has approved them as long as you use the optional collar.

The 100W windlass with 200ft all 1/4" chain couples with a 22lbs bruce anchor, was a pain to get in. The front anchor locker on the 30-2 and many other models I believe, is only accessible by a small door on the inside, and you have to be a contortionist in order to fit 2 arms and 1 shoulder through the opening to get anything mounted. After many hours and expletives we got it done. There is a hole through the bottom bulkead divider wall of the locker that acts as a chute to the larger storage under the v-berth, where most of the chain would go, but the narrowness of the v-"crevasse" was catching the chain and preventing it from sliding down. I took a piece of 1" PVC tubing and cut it in half longitudinally and used that as a chute. This helps the chain slide all the way aft to the second locker. Then of course lock it off to a dead end eye, or hook.

Attachments

• IMG_3105.jpeg
    IMG_3105.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6154.jpeg
    IMG_6154.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6084.jpeg
    IMG_6084.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6161.jpeg
    IMG_6161.jpeg