1971 E 32-2 Hull 222

ragamuffin

Member II
Hello All,

It has been to long time since I sold ragamuffin and I have recently acquired a new to me 1971 Ericson 32-2. This was a ebay boat that I felt a need to rescue. I could not pass it up and boy what a deal!. I know I have a lot of work to do but the bones are good and to my surprise it came with a huge sail inventory and some very good spare parts and electronics.

So here is the break down of what I need to do for next spring. The owners that had the boat just hung out on the boat and did nothing in terms of maintenance. However the real owner had a ton of documentation on the boat and did actively race her on lake Michigan in the late 80's until about 2006 when he died. My feeling is that the boat sat for a while and them went to auction at a local boat yard.

The Good.

A4 in working order, did not start at first so looked around the boat found new plugs and a new coil as well as new distributor and fuel filter impellers and other engine parts. (this left from original owner because current owner who donated the boat was clueless) Installed coil and plugs engined fired right up. Will need new thermostat as when I winterized the engine now thermo?

12 sails

3 mains (including the original) 2 are in decent shape.
1 150 I think Genoa Roller furling in very good condition with a padded luff

racing sails all with tape not hang on so i can rig it into the roller furling track

155 North Sails Kevlar #1
150 light #1

2 SpinStay sails boat has rails on cabin top for these sails at least i think that is what they are for. Never saw this dual head sail rig

3 Spinnakers yes 3 1 crusing I think.

Electronics working

Furuno GPS
KVH flux Gate Compass

Full Nexus system with Pilot steer. Unknow if they work

Standing Rigging Looks newer and over sized I think not sure what size standing should be on this boat

Chain plates all re done I think there was rot that was repaired and when done chain plates re done.

Rigid boom Vang

Bomar main cabin hatch

Ericson Mast step upgrade/repair was done correctly

Boat was re wired with the moyer kit (was on the boat) and a custom panel

The Bad

When mast was last stepped they did not hook up any wiring as well as they used bolts and nuts to secure to chain plates and not clevis/cotter pins when I saw this I knew who ever owned this boat prior did not know WTF they were doing.

Spreaders replaced and are made of Teak? Is this oK?

All bilge hoses need replacing

Some small leaks from stanchions need to rebed

Bilge floor board rotten needs replacing

Simrad 32 Auto pilot was pulled off wires cut for some reason parts on boat (new remote on boat)

The Ugly

Bow Rail is completely the wrong rail for the boat as far as I can tell the entire bow was re configured with chocks where the cleat should be and the bow rail mounted in only 2 spots on deck with some sort of weld in the front to hold rail to boat that broke.

This is first priority Would like to have the OEM E32 rail fabricated locally in Chicago if I can find a spot otherwise a OEM replacement from railmakers cost $1000 including shipping from Cali. If anyone know of a local marine fabricator please let me know.

Rub rail chewed up boat apparent was on a dock that broke in Jackson park harbor about 3 feet of rub rail tore off. But to my surprise again the original owner prior to the idiots had about 12' of rub rail on the boat!

So that's the story I am very excited to work on the boat I have winterised her and she will be going on the hard at 31st Marina in Chicago for the winter.

Photos: :egrin:E32-2 owners your help welcome in terms of bow rail and bow deck configuration.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Web20151017_143436_resized.jpg
    Web20151017_143436_resized.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Web20151018_170640_resized.jpg
    Web20151018_170640_resized.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Web20151020_181444_resized.jpg
    Web20151020_181444_resized.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Web20151024_154020_resized.jpg
    Web20151024_154020_resized.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Web20151101_154420_resized.jpg
    Web20151101_154420_resized.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 140

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My '69 #112 looks a lot like yours and has Sitka spruce spreaders. These lasted a long time, and when one finally broke at the end of a season I made another set just like them. Are you sure yours are teak? Designwise, they look just like mine. I would guess that teak is more than strong enough for the job but heavier than necessary.

I like the stainless handrails - I removed my wood ones and have a set of StarBoard rails waiting to be installed. I also removed the cockpit coaming wood after getting sick and tired of refinishing it and watching it split, and replaced it with 1/2" StarBoard.

Last edited:

ragamuffin

Member II
My '69 #112 looks a lot like yours and has Sitka spruce spreaders. These lasted a long time, and when one finally broke at the end of a season I made another set just like them. Are you sure yours are teak? Designwise, they look just like mine. I would guess that teak is more than strong enough for the job but heavier than necessary.

I like the stainless handrails - I removed my wood ones and have a set of StarBoard rails waiting to be installed. I also removed the cockpit coaming wood after getting sick and tired of refinishing it and watching it split, and replaced it with 1/2" StarBoard.

Thanks for the reply and teak was just a guess. I am sure you are correct that they are Sitka spruce. I am just happy that they are the original design and not someones fix hopefully they have a lot of life left in them.

I like the stainless handrails as well are very sturdy and maintenance free as is the cockpit coming and companionway inserts not sure if it is PlasTeak or Starboard.

cockpit.jpg

Last edited: